Vegetable Tofu Curry with Cashews
Recipe adapted from www.101cookbooks.com
By: Shirley Nozawa
(serves 4, unless you have a big appetite then this serves 2)
- 1 cup of coconut milk - (I only had coconut cream, so I used this and just diluted it with some water)
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- Vegetables (zucchini, cauliflower, green beans, tomatoes, potatoes) - whichever is available in your fridge, I used zucchini, tomatoes, half a potato (cubed).
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped - I did not use garlic, my pregnancy is not allowing this :(
- 1 block of firm tofu, cubed
- 1/3 cup of roasted raw cashews - I toasted mine in the oven for 10 minutes, yeah, they came out almost black. So...5 minutes would do I think?
- Handful of cilantro, loosely chopped (optional) - I didn't use cilantro
- Salt (2-3 pinches?)-adjust to your own taste
In a medium pot:
- Heat 1/2 cup of coconut milk until it starts to bubble (not boiling).
- Whisk in 1 tablespoon of curry powder and salt (make sure all the clumps are dissolved)
- Add onions/garlic, stir for 1-2 minutes
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1/3 cup of water
- Add all vegetables, let boil until all veggies are cooked (5 min?)
- Add tofu, let cook for another 3 minutes
- Remove from heat, stir in roasted cashews
- Top with cilantro (optional)
Serve with rice! my husband and I ate this with brown basmati rice from Trader Joe's. Yummerlicious!
*Sorry, no pictures of this dish was taken. One, I am bad at remembering to take pictures. Two, we were so hungry that taking a picture was not our first priority.